Undergraduate students can major or minor in linguistics. At all levels, students are encouraged to pursue integrative research which crosses traditional disciplinary boundaries, and to take advantage of insights and methods both from within linguistics and from related fields.
Requirements for a Linguistics Major or Minor
See the Northwestern online catalog for information about the requirements for the Linguistics Major.
The degree requirements for the Linguistics major and minor were revised effective Fall 2020. Continuing students who declared the major or minor prior to Fall 2020 have the option of completing their major or minor following the old requirements (those in place when the major/minor was declared) and taking related courses, or adopting the new requirements.
How to declare a major or minorWeinberg students must officially declare a major before the end of sophomore year. Here are the steps:
- Download the Declaration Of Major form and fill out the student and major/minor information sections.
Note to Mac users: Please fill out forms in Adobe Reader or Acrobat rather than Preview. Information filled out in Preview is not retained when the pdf is opened in other applications.
- Save the pdf named as: “<Your Last Name>_<Your Student ID>”.
- Send your form to the Director of Undergraduate Studies (DUS) for the department approval.
- Set up an appointment to meet with the Director of Undergraduate Studies (DUS) for an orientation to the department and to discuss requirements and explore course options.
- The department/program will submit the completed and signed declaration form to firstname.lastname@example.org.